Ox Tail – Great for soup!
7 in stock
Oxtail and the bones and meat that surround the bone are the source of some of the most flavorful soup bones available. Try this great recipe for Oxtail Soup!
- In a stockpot, saute the oxtails, carrots, onion, celery, leeks and green pepper in butter until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add the tomatoes, bouillon, seasonings and water. Bring to a boil. Skim off any foam. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-3 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Stir in barley; cover and continue to simmer until tender, about 1 hour. Add additional water if necessary.
- Remove oxtails; set aside until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bones; discard bones and cut meat into cubes. Return meat to soup. Garnish with parsley. Yield: 24 servings (6 quarts).
- 2 pounds oxtails or meaty beef shanks
- 1-1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup sliced leeks
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Salt to taste
- 6 quarts water
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- Chopped fresh parsley
Originally published as Hearty Oxtail Soup in Reminisce Extra April 1993, p49