Dry Aged Wagyu/Angus Grass Fed Ox Tail – Great for soup
90 in stock
Oxtail and the bones and meat that surround the bone are the source of some of the most flavorful soup bones available. Try this great recipe for Oxtail Soup!
- In a stockpot, saute the oxtails, carrots, onion, celery, leeks and green pepper in butter until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add the tomatoes, bouillon, seasonings and water. Bring to a boil. Skim off any foam. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-3 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Stir in barley; cover and continue to simmer until tender, about 1 hour. Add additional water if necessary.
- Remove oxtails; set aside until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bones; discard bones and cut meat into cubes. Return meat to soup. Garnish with parsley. Yield: 24 servings (6 quarts).
- 2 pounds oxtails or meaty beef shanks
- 1-1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup sliced leeks
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Salt to taste
- 6 quarts water
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- Chopped fresh parsley
Originally published as Hearty Oxtail Soup in Reminisce Extra April 1993, p49